Sunday, August 28, 2011

Master cylinder overhaul triumph spitfire mk3


So I finally got the right kit. Actually it is the same for the brake and the clutch master cylinder.
Below is photo of the assembly before replacing the rubbers.


Cleaned everything really well, put some of the red grease supplied on the rubber, and some dot5 liquid inside the cilinder before re-assembly.

Below are the 2 master cylinders ready to go !




Now I noticed that the brake connecting pin was completely worn out from years of operations. It is worth getting new ones as they are only a few $. However the bracket has worn out too !

I am going to attempt to fill the gap with a nice weld and re-drill



That worked pretty on the first one, on the second I didn't drill straight. Oh well, will need to re-weld and re-drill.I wonder if that will hold and if the pin will wear first.



Last thing, actually I found that was the most difficult : Putting the end rubber protection back on. The hole is tiny and I wondered how on earth you can fit that big washer through it. Especially as the previous one had a crack from the center probably from a failed attempt.

Well amazingly it does fit through without breaking. I greased the rubber with that same red grease and pushed the head and the washer together first but pushing one side of the washer through first. Couldn't take a photo as you will need both hands.



Next step : Brake calipers. But before replacing the rubbers and the cylinders, I am wondering if I want to powder coat them ?

No comments:

Post a Comment