Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Spitfire engine rebuild, part 2 - Crankshaft

Really not an expert an this but after some mistakes 10 years ago I am really attempting to do this "by the book", see it's on the table :-)
Obsessive compulsive will be the key !

Started by putting the block on the engine stand and having all the parts set on the table.
We used the best crankshaft, it was ground 20 under.



First step was to install the lower part of the bearing. Hole needs to align withe the one in the block for oil supply. Using assembly lube on all bearings. Bearings are at 20 over to match the crankshaft.


Then gently dropped the crank in there, put plastigage.
Install the other part of the bearing and housing and torque (65)


Note that the bearing caps can't be mixed up and have directions. There were machined in place so that everything aligns perfectly.


Checking the plastigage we are at 0.0015 sounds good. Had a bit of a scare as it seemed very narrow but once I wiped the assembly oil I could see it was wider.


Then onto thrust washers, these fell of the first engine I disassembled and I had no idea where the came from or the purpose. They are here to control the lateral position of the crank.
You can buy them oversize as I had no idea I bought std, +5 and +10.

See what these look like.


Checking the float here. You lever left and right and see how much it moves


 Was at 8 tho. wich is the end limit so in the end I put the +5 on the outside and the std on the inside, bringing me to 5 tho. of float.


Oiled the cylinders and onto next step !




1 comment:

  1. As usual big thanks to the great guys at triumphexperience who shared opinions and advice on the correct float

    ReplyDelete