Monday, March 14, 2016

Rebuilding the entire electric harness and fusebox for the spitfire

Looking at my old harness it was clearly too old as many wires were cracked, and some melted. I agreed as well that 3 fuse as on standard Triumph of this era is not much. It seemed a shame to have everything new inside and then risk an electric fire or the car be unreliable because of poor electrics.
As well there had been considerable hacking by previous owners.

So I decided to put all new wires and a modern fusebox unit. After some research I found that the 9+3 kit from Rebel wire would be a good compromise of price and quality.
Ordered mine from here in the UK, these guys were really nice.

It took me a while to understand how it works but once you understand the concept you're good to go.
It is nice because the kit comes with high quality wires that are heat resistant, much better quality than the originals and will for sure last my lifetime. Had to call tech support to understand how to adapt for Europe and support was really friendly and helpful.

See below a lot of the wire laid out ready to go to the engine bay and lights.

I wanted the fuses to be inside to keep an original look, so I mounted them on a hinged bracket that I made with a screw on lock (a bolt with a bar welded on).

It looks like this when you remove the screw lock, easily accessible.

Now, onto wiring and soldering !

No comments:

Post a Comment