Monday, January 2, 2012

Engine prep to run and coil removal

Here is what I did (over the course of several hours this afternoon :-) ) trying to follow all of the advice I got on the awesome triumph experience forum : 

- Refit the wrong but at least new spark plugs as my order for the new ones hasn't even shipped. Did adjust them to 0.025 before fitting though. 
- Took the dashpots off, and tried on starter fluid. Was not real frank but car ran for a bit. 
- Drained the carb dashpots from their oil (20W50) as I found it was real difficult to move the piston inside up and down, I put that oil in maybe 6 months ago and I wonder why it was so sticky. 
- Turned the electric gas pump on and looked to see if from excessive pressure gas would be forced inside the carb, none, so I ruled out the pump putting out too much pressure, although I'll have to get a gauge to check how many psi it outputs. 
- Turned the jet nut to have the jet flush, fitted the pots back on and checked that the cylinder inside was descending freely 
- Unscrewed the jet nut by 12 flats 
- Tried many times to start, no luck 
- Tried with starting fluid, massive backfire in the exhaust, neighbors probably thought someone got shot :-) 
- Adjusted timing back to -6 BTDC by lining up with 6mm to the left of the dot on the pulley (I believe I was a 0) 
- Managed to start on fluid 
- Finally managed to start with choke fully on 
- Could not get the car to keep running without the choke so I opened the jets even more, another 12 on each and it ran finally ! 
That's definitely too rich I backed it up on one side and will need to do some carb tuning. 

So by the way there's still no oil inside the pot but as it seems to work like that I am thinking of leaving it out for now as it might have overcomplicated my problem 



I now pray that I will be able to start easily with a cold engine now. 


While in there I removed the screws holding the coil, these are big philips type screws, they would not move and the head was quickly ruined. Had to use my favorite technique : welding a nut on the head :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment